APEX Foundation
Understanding & Tips

How much money do I need to get Australian visa?

Monday, December 9, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

Embassy of Australia Logo

Embassy of Australia

There is no amount of money to get Australian visa. However, there are amounts that you are required to possess in order to be able to apply for Australian visa. The consuls take many other factors into consideration when deciding whether or not visa should be granted.

But yes, one of the factors indeed is the applicants ability to cover his or her costs of living in Australia without having to work there!

And how much is it? Read more

The U.S. H3 Trainee visa and how it compares to J1 Trainee

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

H3 Trainee USCIS page screenshot

H3 Trainee page

The H3 Trainee visa is usually not terribly useful to students and young people beginning their career – which is our target audience. But since the existence of two different kinds of “trainee” visas is a source of confusion, and people ask, let us mention the H3 visa too.

So first of all, why would anyone use the H3 Trainee visa instead of J1 Trainee visa? The thing is, the J1 Trainee visa can only be used for training in occupational fields specifically listed [scroll down for the list] in the Code of Federal Regulations. Read more

Can I transfer from the F1 OPT to J1 Trainee?

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

Transfer from F1 visa to J1 visa

From F1 visa to J1 visa

Another common request that we receive, is from former F1/J1 students in the USA who are about to finish their OPT (Optional Practical Training) and wish to transfer to the J1 Intern/Trainee in order to be able to keep working in the USA.

But is that possible? Read more

The two 2- year rules confusion explained

Monday, November 25, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

J1 Visa Regulations screenshot

J1 Visa Regulations

People often email us towards the end of their existing J1 Trainee program asking if they could re-apply with us.

When we tell them that they have to wait 2 years before they can apply again, they argue that their existing program is not subject to the “2-year rule”.

Well, there are actually two different rules affecting repeat applicants, both of which happen to involve a 2-year period, which is what makes people confused. Read more

Can foreign students (F1/J1) work in the USA?

Sunday, November 24, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

What jobs can foreign students do in the USA

Allowed and Disallowed

Australia, Canada, UK and many other countries, allow foreign students to get almost any normal “student job” while they are studying there.

The USA, on the other hand, pretty much allows just limited practical training related to your field of study. So let’s take a look at what are the rules.

“Work” is divided into 4 basic categories: On Campus vs Off Campus. And Practical Training vs Economic Need. Read more

The complete list of U.S. immigrant and non-immigrant visas

Sunday, November 24, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

A scan of passport page with USA visa

USA visa

Many people email us asking if they are eligible for the US visa. The reality is that there isn’t “the” US visa. There is actually a vast number of them, each serving a specific purpose.

The primary distinction is between permanent (immigrant) visas and temporary (non-immigrant) visas. Subcategories include Employment-based, Family-based, Diversity and many, many more.

So let’s take a look at the list! Read more

Am I eligible for the J1 visa?

Saturday, November 23, 2013 by · 2 Comments 

J1 Exchange Visitor Program

Exchange Visitor Program

This is one of the most common questions regarding US visas that we receive. Unfortunately, it is also the wrong question to ask, and as a result, impossible to answer. Why is this so?

The reason is that similarly to for instance the UK Tier 5 visa, the American J1 has a number of subcategories. In the USA, they are called “programs”.

This means that none is or isn’t eligible for “the J1 visa”!  Read more

UKBA list of English-speaking countries

Sunday, February 24, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

English-speaking countries symbols

Are you from an English-speaking country?

If you read our article about the IELTS courses, you may wonder: but I am from an English-speaking country, do I need such a course?!

Since English is used in many countries of the world to a varying degree, the UK Border Agency publishes a list of countries that it officially considers as “English-speaking”.

Here’s the list: Read more

How many weeks of IELTS course do I need

Sunday, February 24, 2013 by · 6 Comments 

IELTS logo

IELTS – how many weeks?

With IELTS courses running for anywhere between 4 and 36 weeks, the most obvious question is “how many weeks of IELTS course do I need“? To answer this question, we need to determine why you need the IELTS course, or indeed, if you need it in the first place!

Although IELTS is used for many purposes, for instance a family may need it for immigration to certain countries, most applicants are young people who need certain IELTS score in order to apply to a university abroad. Read more

How to pay with PayPal if you don’t have a PayPal account

Friday, November 30, 2012 by · Leave a Comment 

How to pay with PayPal without a PayPal account

No PayPal? No problem!

The easiest way to pay for your programs is with PayPal. But many of you prefer to pay your fees with you VISA, MasterCard or American Express card. In such a case, some are confused that we send you a PayPal invoice anyway.

Yes, still a PayPal invoice, because PayPal let’s you pay with your credit or debit card easily, even if you don’t have, and don’t even want to have, a PayPal account! How to do it? Read more

Hotel Internships in the USA – which hotels qualify

Sunday, July 15, 2012 by · Leave a Comment 

Hotel internship USA

Hotel internship USA

Practically everybody who contacts us about hotel internships in the USA starts with the same question: “Am I eligible?”.

What nobody asks though, is “is my host company (employer) eligible?”. In fact, your employer must meet quite a few conditions to satisfy the requirements of your J1 Intern/Trainee visa.

So today, we’ll have a look at how to find out which hotels qualify. Read more

No credit card? No problem!

Monday, July 9, 2012 by · Leave a Comment 

Prepaid VISA cards on a holder in a store

Prepaid VISA cards in a store

Some of you would like to rent a car, buy a flight or bus ticket online, or use online stores such as Amazon.

But if you don’t have your own Visa, MasterCard or American Express card, your only choice is to ask somebody who has one to make the purchase for you, and give the person your money. Awkward and not always possible.

What you may not know, is that in many countries, for instance in the USA, you can simply buy a pre-paid card in a store! Read more

The UK increases the minimum wage to £6.08/hr

Sunday, October 23, 2011 by · Leave a Comment 

A screenshot of UK Directgov webiste announcing in the increase of minimum wage

Was £5.93 is £6.08

Most worktraveling students and participants of Work & Study programs tend to work for, or slightly above, the minimum wage, so an increase of one is always a welcome news.

The UK has a system of staggered minimum wage values based on age, which helps employment of young people who otherwise wouldn’t be as attractive to hire compared to more mature applicants.

The current UK minimum wages per hour are: Read more

Before you leave your employer

Friday, September 2, 2011 by · Leave a Comment 

Work & Travel USA student in Monument Valley, AZ with a picture of Monument Valley on his T-shirt

Before you go to travel

Hi Worktravelers! If you are in the USA, most of you will be leaving your employers next week. So after work, the travel part is here. We have prepared a map of “everything” you ever wanted to see in the USA for you, so have a look and don’t miss something interesting along your route. And before you leave, don’t forget:

1. Leave your employer your home address (for your wage report)
2. Get his winter contact, email, phone (if the report doesn’t arrive)
3. Get a job for summer 2012, if you want to go again
4. Have fun, write, and send pics :-)

Map of everything you want to see in America

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 by · 2 Comments 

Map for Work & Travel USA students - what you must to see in America

What to see in the USA

Boneyard of military airplanes in a desert? Buffalo Bill’s Tee Pee? Montezuma’s Castle? Explore our Map and get inspired! And it’s more than just a map!

Often, you know a place from photographs and you don’t where it is, so you can’t visit it. In other cases, you don’t even know if something even exists, or if it’s just a legend.

Each of the pins is linked to a page with photographs of the place and a Wikipedia page with information about the place. Read more

Get a job for Summer Work & Travel USA 2012

Saturday, August 20, 2011 by · 28 Comments 

Summer Work & Travel USA 2012 self-arranged Employment Agrement

Don't come home without it

(This post was written in summer 2011 for students who were in America at that time. If you are a new applicant, click here if you need a program that will  place you with an American employer, or here if your already have your job arranged!)

The happiest participants are usually those who arrange their own jobs for the next summer. Jobs that they like, in places that they like.

But you won’t get yourself a job in November from your home by email. You have to do it now, while you are still in America!

Download Self-Arranged Employment Agreement Read more

Which school to study to get the highest salary later

Sunday, August 7, 2011 by · 1 Comment 

Princeton University website screenshot

$130,000+ mid-career pay

OK, so you want to make solid money in your life! Big money, if things go real well. $100,000+ per year at least! And you want to know which school you should study, so that you could command that sort of salary from your employer. Look no further than our quick cut-out and keep guide to making big bucks by choosing the right uni!

With $130,000 median (median, mind!) salary, the Princeton University ranks the highest. But be prepared to pay for the privilege, tuition at all these schools is mostly Read more

What countries are members of Eurozone, EU and EEA

Sunday, August 7, 2011 by · Leave a Comment 

Diagram of membership of European Countries in European Entities

Members of EU, EEA, €zone

[CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO SEE THE COUNTRIES] Some exchange programs are only available to citizens of the EU, EEA, etc. Do you know which countries are members of which? And if you are an international student traveling to Europe, do you know what is the Schengen Zone and where you can pay with the € (Euro)?

Let’s have a look at those multinational European entities, which are the most important for students. In future installments, we will have a look at who can do Work & Study in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and who can do Work & Travel in South Africa. Read more

How to find a second job while in the USA

Monday, July 18, 2011 by · Leave a Comment 

Two Work & Travel USA participants working in a cafe on a New Jersey beach

Summer? Beach job!

It’s mid-July and some of you either already have a second job or even have changed jobs. For those who are thinking about it, let’s first have a look at the rules and then how to go about it.

But! Even if you already have a second job, have you realized that you can find yourself your dream job for summer 2012, apply as “self-arranged” and even save? You can’t find your dream job in your dream location from your computer back home in December! You have to start finding it now, while you are still in America! Read more

Worktraveler’s #1 problem – not enough work hours

Sunday, June 26, 2011 by · Leave a Comment 

Work and Travel program - not enough work hours

Not enough work?

Of all the problems that people encounter on their worktraveling trips around the world, having too few work hours is by far the most frequent source of disappointment. It’s scary too, because you probably borrowed money for your program, and you need to pay them back.

So let’s have a look at what are the reasons for not having enough work hours and what you can do to get more. Read more

Hipmunk – a novel approach to searching great flights

Saturday, June 25, 2011 by · Leave a Comment 

Hipmunk flight search home page screenshot

Hipmunk home page

You may be looking for your flights on HotWire.com, Expedia.com or any other flight-search sites that we covered recently.  Try Hipmunk!

What is different is the idea that you want to suffer as little “agony” as possible. The term agony combines ALL the things that you want to avoid: high price, too many connections, long waits at airports and arrivals in the wee hours.

Very interesting approach and great interface too! Read more

You CAN work before you receive your Social Security Card

Friday, June 10, 2011 by · Leave a Comment 

Social Security Administration website screenshot

Social Security Administration

If you are going to work in the USA as a participant of the Work & Travel USA program or Internship USA program, you are required to apply for the Social Security Card. The reason is that your employer needs the associated Social Security Number shown on the card to enter your wage into their accounting system, for reporting your taxes, etc.

So much is clear, but if you are going to participate in the program for the first time, you don’t have the card right after you arrive! You have to apply for it, and it may take a few weeks before you receive it. Can you work without having the card? Read more

Bringing Food and Medicines to the USA

Saturday, June 4, 2011 by · 4 Comments 

US Customs and Border Protection - Customs Declaration Form cutout

US Customs Declaration

Can I bring food or medicines in the USA? And of so, what kind? Many students ask us these questions before they travel to the USA.

So let’s have a look at the arrival procedures and associated forms.

The forms that we are talking about here are I-94 and U.S. Customs Declaration. You will receive both of them on board the airplane while flying to the USA. The flight attendants will distribute them to all passengers and on most airlines Read more

What documents you need for driving in the USA

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 by · 4 Comments 

An example of a national driving license, this one issued in Austria, EU

National driving license

Do you wish to rent, borrow or even buy a car while in the USA? It’s a great idea! There is much less public transport in the USA than many young worktravelers imagine. And without a car, you are a prisoner of the place where you work.

Sure, it’s a very nice prison, but after a few weeks you will be frustrated by not being able to see anything else than your workplace and your accommodation, not being able to go to shop or see a movie and generally by not being able to move around at will. Read more

How long you can stay and work in the USA on the J1 visa

Monday, May 16, 2011 by · 65 Comments 

A scan of passport page with USA visa

U.S. visa

Many people participating in the Work & Travel USA program or the Internship/Trainee USA programs have quite hazy idea about how long they can stay and work in the USA.

You have your I-94 card, your DS-2019 form and your J1 visa, and each of them shows different dates that affect your program in the USA. But how do the play together?

Let’s first have a look at how you get those documents. Read more

APEX Foundation