APEX Foundation
Blogs, Understanding & Tips

What countries are members of Eurozone, EU and EEA

Sunday, August 7, 2011 by

Diagram of membership of European Countries in European Entities

Members of EU, EEA, €zone

[CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO SEE THE COUNTRIES] Some exchange programs are only available to citizens of the EU, EEA, etc. Do you know which countries are members of which? And if you are an international student traveling to Europe, do you know what is the Schengen Zone and where you can pay with the € (Euro)?

Let’s have a look at those multinational European entities, which are the most important for students. In future installments, we will have a look at who can do Work & Study in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and who can do Work & Travel in South Africa.

A word of caution before we start: the membership of countries in these entities constantly changes! Click here for the latest list of EU Member Countries and here for the latest list of EEA Member Countries

[UPDATE: Croatia joined the EU on July 1, 2013]

EU – European Union

Citizens of these countries can take part in work-only programs in the UK, such as:

Citizens of Croatia are a partial exception, as they can not participate in work-only programs in the UK. Only work & study programs, such as the Career Development Program (to be re-introduced in January 2014) let them work in the UK.

EEA – European Economic Area

Put simply, it’s the EU plus three countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.  EEA students can take part in the same UK programs as EU students. Even though Switzerland is not an EEA member, its citizens enjoy similar benefits in the UK.

€ – Eurozone

Eurozone is a group of countries, where you can pay with the € (Euro). This simplifies traveling because you don’t have to change money as you arrive in a new country and don’t have to wonder what you are going to do with remaining money from your previous destination.

Schengen Zone

The simplest explanation of what is the Schengen Zone is that there are no visible borders between the countries. When you travel from one to another, you don’t have to stop and show your passport. If you are an international student in Europe and you have so-called “schengen visa”, you can travel freely into all these countries without any additional arrangements.

Initial image source: Wikimedia Commons

Questions? Ask below :-) In English, please.

APEX Foundation