APEX Foundation

Work Study

  • These are combo programs that include both a course and a work placement.
  • You take them either to help pay for your language course and your expenses.
  • Or you want to practice your English in a real workplace setting outside the course.
  • Or you’d rather do a plain work program, but the visa regulations don’t let you.
  • The placement part can be a paid work or an internship.

Work Study programs are great for two reasons. First, you get to practice the language you are learning in a real-world environment at your job. This is something what you won’t get from interacting with your fellow students, if you do just the language course. After all, they all speak imprefect English too, making it easy for you to pick up wrong grammar or reinforce incorrect accent.

The absolute best is to also use homestay as your accommodation, because then you are with a local family when you come back in the evening, and once again practice with somebody who speaks the language better than your schoolmates at the dorm.

Second, if you are a student on budget, work study programs which allow getting paid work (not all of them do!) help you cover your living expenses and you may even cover the entire cost of the program.

Paid work, where permitted, generally involves working in the hospitality industry. So if you aren’t a hospitality, or catering professional and budget is not an issue, you are better off with with unpaid internships. They are easier for the sponsors to arrange in your field, or a similar one.

You need to read the program descriptions to see which countries permit international students to hold paid employment. For instance in the USA, you can’t work while you study there. But for example in the UK you can work if you have Tier 4 General Student Visa.

Working alongside the locals is not just an excellent way to practice, but you also pick up the industry- specific vocabulary and jargon. Plus you can even forge useful international contacts!


6 Responses to “Work Study”
  1. Nerci Ronita says:

    Dear there,

    I have obtacles to make student visa, one of the obstacles is must have good finance to prove for Embassy.
    Because I have less many that’s why I interest in this program study and work to pay our course cost and fulfill daily needs.

    Can I get sponsor to make student visa, I hope I get the way to make student visa.

    Thank for your kindness

    Best regards

    Nerci Ronita

    • admin says:

      Hi Ronita, we understand your point, but.. Keep in mind that as a language student, i.e. non-academic one and a non-EU citizen, you can only work 10 hours per week in the UK! That’s not going to help you cover your living expenses in any major way. Plus the reason why you have to show the embassy that you have sufficient funds available is because the visa regulations actually require that you are able to support yourself without having to have a job. So yes, all students work exactly to support themselves, but the embassy will want to see that you have the money anyway. As a matter of fact, Australia might be a better choice for you than the UK. You also have to show that you have all the money in order to get the visa, but in Australia, you can work 20 hours per week as a language student, rather than just 10. Have a look. It may also matter if you are a university/college student. Please, email us from a functional email address in order to discuss your situation further.

  2. Evgenia says:

    Dear Sirs,

    My name is Evgenia, I’m 26 years old and I live in Moscow.
    Currently I work in Marketing department of a big company managing helicopter business in Russia. I’m studying Marketing in Higher School of Economics. I have a degree in English teaching – no need to say my English is fluent. I also speak Spanish and a little German.

    I’m interested in getting internship in the UK in marketing. As I’ve mentioned, I have relevant experience and I’m fluent in English. I’d love to work for an international company in London for 3 to 4 months.

    As I’ve investigated the matter, I came to the conclusion, that payed internships are only available in Hospitality business. This is not not exactly what I’m interested in, and, besides, it might be hard for a non-EU resident (which is me) to get a placement in the field I want.

    Could you please advise me on what opportunities are there of getting on an internship program in marketing?

    Thank you.

    Kindest regards,

    • admin says:

      Dear Evgenia, you seem to be a perfect candidate and your English is absolutely flawless. Unfortunately, the UK internship program is only available to EU citizens, as it is shown in the “Eligibility” section. This is not our decision, it’s the result of UK laws governing these programs. It makes no difference that the internship would be unpaid. Here are some other options that you have. You could do an unpaid internship in marketing in Australia, South Africa or Mauritius. While Australia might sound the most appealing to you and Mauritius offers not just great internships, but also fantastic atmosphere, in South Africa you could actually get a paid employment. Not a paid internship, but a second job to help you cover your cost of living. Which would in turn might make your internship financially viable for you. While it is mostly students from Germany, Switzerland and the UK who do the South African programs, maybe you could try one of them too and be the trailblazer for your part of the world. So let us know which, if any, of these opportunities sounds interesting to you and we’ll furnish you with further details.

  3. Kelly says:

    Hi i’m a student in Singapore, age 19 and about to graduate from Polytechnic. Is it possible for me to apply for the Work and Travel program in either UK or USA after i graduate from Polytechnic while waiting for University to start?

    • admin says:

      Hi Kelly, thank you for becoming our fan on Facebook :-) The US Government regulations for the Work & Travel J1 visa require that you are a full-time student of a post-secondary degree-granting institution on the day when you apply for the visa. It is perfectly common for students to take up the program between their undergrad and graduate school. But only if you are still a student of the previous school on the day when you go to the embassy to apply for the visa. Also, because final-year students are considered by the US embassies to be a greater risk of illegal immigration, they may ask that you show that you have actually be accepted to the grad school, in other words that you are not in fact finishing your studies just yet. They don’t ask this everybody everywhere, but I want to mention it, just in case it would happen to you, that you wouldn’t be surprised. As for the UK, unfortunately only nationals of the EU-member countries can do the Work Experience programs there. I’m not sure if Singapore citizens can get the Working Holiday visa, you may want to check with your local UK embassy.

Questions? Ask below :-) In English, please.

APEX Foundation